Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New townhouse, new internship!

Oh em gee! What a GREAT week so far! Here's what's new.

On Sunday afternoon, I made a trip to uhm...well...not QUITE the ghetto but pretty close. It was a townhouse somewhat near (re: nowhere near) Union Station. I felt like I was walking forever. I finally reached the place, and the room was the size of a closet. Rent was cheap at $625/month. To be honest, I could SEE why the rent was so reasonable. The word of the day was: sketchy. I think I'll pass.

As I was making my way to the nearest bus stop, I passed a one-stop shop that sold everything from cell phones to hair weaves. In a nearby shopping center, jewelry stores, dollar stores, and other low-end merchandise stores had bars on the windows and doors. Also, a man sat uncomfortably close to me while I was waiting for the bus to take me back to the metro and would not stop talking/hitting on me. He noticed a turqoise ring I was wearing and attempted to touch my hand to see the ring. Excuse me sir, but you are in my personal bubble and I will not hesitate to call the mother fucking police on your ass. BACK the fuck off. Again, this was NOT the neighborhood for me.

After that disaster, I went to the Land of White People, otherwise known as the Courthouse area of Arlington. I went to go see a townhouse that is an 8-minute walk to the metro - a definite plus for a metro-dependent lady (ha! "lady"...what a crack-up!) like myself. Ok, so here' s the run-down of the place: it's a less than 2-year-old townhouse with three bedrooms and three and a half bathrooms, hardwood floors throughout, stainless steel appliances and granite countertops in the kitchen, walk-in closets, and a washer and dryer in the unit. The room up for grabs is on the third floor, and it is an 11 X 18 ft, fully carpeted room with a private, attached bath. The room has three windows that allow in plenty of light and there's a ton of closet space. Venetian blinds, beautiful blue tiling in the bathroom, another shared linen closet in the hallway. It's AMAZING. I mean, it really is to die for. I met with the three girls that currently live there, and they were wonderful. Very sweet, down-to-earth, easygoing, fun girls in their 20s. Conversation between the four of us went really well. It was so awesome to finally find a place AND people that I loved.

Knowing the place would go soon, I made sure to tell the girls how interested I was. Just like every other apartment/townhouse I'd seen, I sent the girls a "thank you for showing me the place" e-mail and patiently waited. However, this time was different. Less than an hour after I took a look at the place, they e-mailed me, and guess what! They picked me!! I'm the new roomie, and I move in around August 5th!!!! Ahhhhh, I am so excited!! I kinda/sorta/maybe/ok I did jump up and down when they said they were offering me the room. FINALLY, this Craigslist nonsense can stop. I was getting so sick of devoting my life to the "rooms/shared" section of housing. I know both my mom and I are going to have more time on our hands now that we aren't slaves to Craigslist. I can also take more hours at my part-time job instead of using that time to view apartments. :-) Yayayayayayayayayayayay. Ok, I'll stop. Woohoo! Ok, I can't. I am just so excited to have found a great place in a safe neighborhood with awesome roommates! Now I've got to start thinking about what bedroom furniture I want out here. My mom rented a truck and will be helping me move in a few weeks! More updates to come!

I worked both Monday and Tuesday and am off all day tomorrow! (Tanning, anyone?) My manager asked if I could come in on Thursday of this week to pick up an extra shift, and now that I've secured a new place to live, I happily agreed. Yay for more money! Also, I sent out a few resumes/cover letters this past weekend for fall internships on the Hill. I know they are unpaid, but staff assistant positions for Republicans are scarce on the Hill, and internships are always good experience. I really enjoyed my internship in the spring of 2008, and as a political science major, I have a natural love for D.C. politics/the Hill. Anyway, I got a call back from an office this afternoon, and I start my fall internship on the House side in mid August!

Told you. GREAT week. :-)

2 comments:

  1. yay a new abode for my little ho bag! pics, please - as soon as theyre available! :) I miss you woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS GETTING OUT OF HAND. i need to communicate with you, or i die inside a little each day. Kapeesh? kgreat. FIX THIS. right meow :)

    ReplyDelete