Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The apartment search continues...

On Sunday, I took a trip out to Alexandria to take a look at an apartment. The apartment and the woman were both fabulous, and I was almost convinced until I realized the issues I would have with transportation. The apartment is not in walking distance of a metro station, and while I could take a metro bus to get to the metro station, they don't always run late into the night. If I missed my bus, I'd have to wait another half hour in order to get to the metro station. It just seems like a lot of hassle. I'd much rather find a place where I can walk to the metro and not have to worry about taking a connecting bus. It was tough to tell the woman no because I really liked the apartment itself. We got along fabulously, I just feel like it's not the right place for me. Luckily, we are still in contact and are planning to go out and have drinks together. Yay for a new friend out of this crazy Craigslist apartment search!

Let's see...after I saw that apartment in Alexandria, I went to the Courthouse metro stop area to check out a group house. Two words: chore wheel. I shit you not, they had a color-coordinated chore wheel in the middle of the kitchen. What is this? Elementary school? I had a flashback to when I was in 4th grade and my teacher had these "behavior" stop light cards with each student's name on them. If you were good for the day, your stop light card remained at green. If you got in trouble for a minor offense throughout the day, she would call you out in front of the entire class and say "Sarah, go move your card to yellow." Fuck. You were in deep shit. Not only was the teacher annoyed and now watching you for the duration of the day, you were ostracized in front of your peers. I remember it clearly. At recess, everyone would crowd together and whisper, "Oh my gosh guys. Can you believe Sarah had to change her card to YELLOW today? How embarrassing." Anyway, if you really pissed the teacher off, your yellow card would have to be moved to red. Thankfully, I don't remember my card being changed to red that often. The whole experience is rather traumatizing for a 10-year-old. Well, that is what I think I would have felt like if I moved into this group house. "Sarah, you failed to do the dishes in a reasonable amount of time. Go move your card." Eff that.

Monday was my first day of work at the Pentagon City mall. I actually really enjoyed it. Everyone I work with is very friendly, and I get a secret satisfaction from wearing that little earpiece. It makes me feel like a secret agent. Ok, so I'm not a secret agent, but at least let me dream a bit. My bosses are beyond nice, everyone gets along really well, and the job isn't tough. I am excited to work with my roommate Erin. We are already married on Facebook, so I can only imagine how we will be when we work together. I really must thank her, as she was the one that asked one of the hiring managers if our store was hiring. With a positive recommendation from Erin, my "interview" process consisted of filling out an application and saying when I'd like to start. I work again on Thursday. :-) Yay job!

Monday after work, I went to see a shared house near the Stadium-Armory metro stop on the orange and blue lines. The house was close to the metro: a definite plus! It was a cute row house, and the room was huge! A master bedroom with a private bath and a walk-in closet. Both of the housemates were friendly, open, and inviting. I really liked it a lot. The rent is pretty cheap, and you can't beat the location. I e-mailed one of the housemates when I got home last night to see if they would be interested in having me as a roommate as of August 1st! They will be having another open house this Saturday and then making a decision thereafter. Fingers crossed they want me! :-)

After the Stadium-Armory house, I went to Crystal City to see an apartment for two. I liked the girl a lot but the space felt cramped and uninviting. No furniture whatsoever. Poor lighting. Awkward bathroom layout. Meh. The search for my new apartment/house/condo/cardboard box continues!

This afternoon I took advantage of this BEAUTIFUL weather and caught some rays by the pool. I witnessed two women wearing what can only loosely be referred to as bikinis. I think I saw both their Britneys. Then again, if I had an ass like that I'd wade in the 3 foot pool nude.

Mmmmmk bitches. Tomorrow is my birthday. Let's hope all of your packages and cards with massive amounts of cash are in the mail. If not, I'm ok with accepting belated birthday wishes so long as they are supplemented by some sort of a cash prize. I know my mom sent me something (because she's fucking badass), but I will be severely disappointed in all of you if you didn't. Joking! :-)

**NOTE** At least write on my facebook wall. For God's sake, it TELLS you it's my birthday. Take time away from your busy pants-dropping schedules to wish me a fucking great day. LOVES YOU BITCHES.

2 comments: