My time was well spent at that jobs panel today in the Capitol. Three Hill experts came to discuss how to make it in this town, and it was great to hear from each of them. The take-away message? Network, network, network. Basically, use your resources. Be seen. Be persistant and follow through. Don't get discouraged. Learn the lingo/acronyms. Tailor your experience to that particular office/rep. Join groups/associations to make more connections. All things I've heard before, so at least I'm on the right track. I'm confident I will find something. It may take a while, but I know I am qualified. As one of the panelists said today, "It's not what you know, it's who you know." Thankfully, I've got some pretty good contacts on the Hill. I've just got to put them to use!
After the jobs panel, I came home to good ole' Arlington. Ok, I took a detour to CVS and bought a six pack of Blue Moon. Jealous? I know you are. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh Little! I am so proud of you for making the leap to D.C. I know you are going to do great things b/c let's face it, it's in our blood to be fabulous! :) Sounds like the advice you were given sums up some of the best advice for job searching. If there's any additional advice I could offer it would be, get to know everyone! You never know who will be able to help you out down the line so every chance you get to talk with someone (anyone) take it! I think the voice is the most powerful tool (both verbally and written) so use it as often as possible!
ReplyDeleteIt was great chatting with you on the phone last night! I miss you like crazyyyy and hope to talk to you again soon!
*Misses'n'Kisses from Ohio*
Amy