Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cleaning, Movie Night, Interview Time, Shoe Shopping, and Judging Others

Sorry it's been (gasp!) a day since my last post. I'm doing my best to try to get a job in this damn city, so my entire day was spent researching job postings on the Hill and elsewhere. Ok ok, that's a lie. I went to a movie last night and was too tired from my grueling day of tanning to update the blog.

Here's yesterday's re-cap:

Wake-up time: 1:10 p.m. Oops. After a granola bar, I headed out to my ginormous balcony to tan. About 15-20 minutes in, it started to rain. The rest of day was spent cleaning up my room, unpacking boxes my mom had sent me, meticulously organizing my closest, and other anal retentive things. All of this, of course, will matter not one bit in about three days when my room returns to its disastrous state and I'm wondering where the hell my flip flops and favorite necklace are. Does this happen to any of you? You know, I have the greatest intentions when it comes to cleaning my room and keeping it that way. After a great cleaning session, I even look at my room triumphantly for a few moments after everything is put away and in its place. It's a great feeling. This may sound weird but I really feel like my life is in order when my room is clean. If everything in my room is perfect, life's imperfections matter less to me. In truth, I think I cleaned my room so thoroughly because I knew I had an interview today. Clean room = well-played interview? I don't know. It makes sense in my head. After cleaning, I made myself dinner. A chicken salad sandwich, diced tomatoes, and fat free cottage cheese. Surprisingly, this eating healthy thing isn't so bad. :-) Later, Erin and I went to a movie in Arlington. NOTE: Go see Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian. It's AWESOME, and Jonah Hill has a cameo in it. Do you need another reason to go? I think not. Seriously though, it was a great, feel-good movie, just what I needed to wash away Monday's rainy day!

On to today!

Wake-up time: 9:30 a.m. Ok, so I set my alarm for 9:00 a.m......and 9:10 a.m......but it's not like it's shocking that I did not immediately get up. HELLO, do you know me? I finally got up and got ready for my job interview. Naturally, I looked *effing FABULOUS*. Talbots dress and black shrug, black peep-toe heels, and pearls. As MC Hammer would say, you can't touch this. 11:30 a.m. interview. I think it went really well. I even got a chance to scope out my competition in the front office. Girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl, you better go on home. When the interviewer came to the all-important question, "Do you have any questions for me?", I was so ready. With 5-7 questions for her to answer, she seemed pleasantly surprised. Here's a spattering: 1.) Please describe the work environment. 2.) What brought you to this company, and what keeps you here? 3.) What happened to the person that previously did this job? 4.) What can you tell me about the individual to whom I would report? 5.) What are the company's plans, if any, for new services? 6.) What's our next step?

I should hear by the end of the week. So, we'll see how it goes. At least I have one interview under my belt. Good practice. I'm focusing on the Hill the rest of week, starting with a jobs panel I'm attending tomorrow at 3 p.m. in the Capitol.

After my interview, I headed to Union Station for sushi. There's a little kiosk-looking area in the basement of Union Station that houses a Kabuki Sushi, and it is simply divine! (Ok, it's cheap and I can currently afford it with my "oh I just graduated from college and do not have a steady income" lifestyle.) After lunch, I proceeded to take a look at the shops in Union Station. Even though I've been there dozens of times, I can usually find something of interest. Today was no exception! What used to be a Nine West is now a store called Woo that has Nine West, Anne Klein, Bandolino, and other similar shoe brands. There were, ohhhhhhhh I'd say an unnecessary 8 number of employees welcoming me, asking me how I was doing, how the shoes were fitting, if I needed a different size or color, if I'd like to see a bag that matched that shoe, if they could polish my nails and give me a reach-around while they were at it. LOOK. I get it. Your store is new, you are on commission, and you would REALLY like to help me. I'll let ya know when I need you lady. Until then, go sit over there, sip on your fancy coffee drink, and wait for my instruction. Kgreatthanks. That being said, I found an awe-inspiring pair of comfortable(ish) black leather kitten heels for the job that I don't have. It's just like the clean room thing. Maybe if I have work shoes, I will find a job soon! Just go with it, will you?

Satisfied with my purchase, I came home, dilly dallied for a few hours and then went to a free pizza party put on by our program. After everyone ate, we all sat in a circle and were given the opportunity to ask questions. In truth, the circle seating arrangement just gave us the opportunity to do what we were really there for: check everyone else in the program out and outwardly judge them. It was great. I urge you to call or e-mail me, and I'll let you know what I think of everyone. I'm a real bitch, but they don't know that yet. :-)

Well, I'm off to write my interview thank you note and watch trashy late night television.

No comments:

Post a Comment